7 Tips to Finding a Dermatologist Right for You
Dermatologists are medical doctors that specialize in treatment of the skin. You may not consider a dermatologist to be a necessary member of your medical team, but you might want to reconsider. The many years of education and training in our specialty prepare us to diagnose and treat skin conditions from acne to skin cancer.
When you develop a condition that requires the attention of a dermatologist, you want to do your research so you can choose the right doctor for you. Here are a few things to consider in your search.
- Determine whether your needs are medical, surgical, or cosmetic. Dermatologists often specialize and you will want the one best suited to your problem. Call the office and ask if you are in doubt.
- Research the doctor’s credentials. You can find our doctors’ and team members’ qualifications listed on our website, together with their affiliations and awards. All our dermatologists are board certified, which attests to their extensive training in dermatology. Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants on our team are all board certified, have all been trained in dermatological treatments and care, and have worked years under the close supervision of our board-certified dermatologists.
- If you plan on insurance coverage to help with fees, know what your insurance will and will not cover. Normally a procedure must be a medical or surgical necessity to be covered, and your doctor will have to be in network to qualify. You can contact our office to discuss your insurance questions.
- If you are a person of color, seek a dermatologist with experience treating the skin of persons of color. Your skin may be subject to hyperpigmentation and may also be prone to excess scarring or keloids, so you want someone familiar with the best treatment options for you.
- Find a doctor and team that make you feel comfortable and welcomed. Look for a friendly reception, in person and by telephone, from all team members. Watch for hidden fees and treatments that aren’t specific to your needs. Don’t hesitate to ask questions – if a team member doesn’t know the answer, they should find out who can provide that information to you.
- Online reviews can be helpful, but they may not be an accurate reflection of every encounter with your doctor and team. Unhappy patients are more likely to post a review, which would naturally be poor, yet privacy protection laws can prevent your doctor from responding. You also can seek recommendations from your primary care physician, a family member, or friend.
- After your appointment, review your experience. Did you get your questions answered? Did team members listen to you? Did they ask for your input on your condition? Was your examination thorough, and were your treatment options explained?
The caring professionals at Derick Dermatology are prepared to hear your concerns and answer your questions. We will diagnose and recommend treatment options that are best for you and your unique situation. Please contact our office today at (847) 381-8899 to set up a consultation. We have convenient locations to serve you in Arlington Heights, Barrington, Bartlett, Buffalo Grove, Crystal Lake, Elgin, Libertyville, Lindenhurst, McHenry, Naperville and Park Ridge.